Saturday, March 4, 2017

beginnings

This was a very good decision.

It's been about a week and a half since I landed here.


photo by Oskar 

I wake up early in the morning, look out of the window and see the ocean. I can hear it too. I leave the house and look at the pink dawning light covering the mountains.


Inhale & exhale, the air is crispy clean. 



It's cold, but not in an unpleasant way. After I wake up, I have to walk a couple of meters through the snow to the main guesthouse. I start preparing breakfast. Simple tasks. Brewing, pouring, cutting. Down to earth and tangible. Material. Then I look out of the window again. Having all this majestic nature as a background to my everyday routine is an experience in itself.

How long does it take for the otherworldly to become common and ordinary? Is this sense of being in complete awe of the surroundings going to last?

The first couple of days were the weirdest - such a contrast between how I was feeling and what was going around me back home to what is happening here, in the middle of nowhere. I guess I feel more present and "in the moment" here than I did for the most part of last year back in Warsaw. 

I'm far away from everything, but I don't feel lonely. I made a new friend (who's unfortunately gone now, but will be back in a month) and there are people coming and going, passing through the guesthouse every day with their own stories. And of course there is technology, wi-fi connects me to the world at large.

There is also something else. A certain spookiness that can be felt especially after the sun goes down. I feel that there is a lot going on here beneath the surface, the energy levels are high. And somehow I'm not scared of this.



At night the stars shine vividly as they always do far away from the city lights. 

The Northern Lights, Aurora Borealis, are here too. Very subtle, mild and not strong at all, but present still. 

These next months are going to be interesting.




No comments:

Post a Comment